Squeak build problem...

Tim Rowledge tim at sumeru.stanford.edu
Fri Aug 16 15:30:49 UTC 2002

goran.hultgren at bluefish.se is claimed by the authorities to have written:

> Ian Piumarta <ian.piumarta at inria.fr> wrote:
> [SNIP]
> > I remember (from quite a while ago) that the big change in gcc3 was going
> > to be live range splitting.  Maybe localXX are being spilled and reloaded
> > (disaster!) by the new optimiser?  If these are spilled in the wrong
> > places then it could explain a factor of 2 in speed.  Worth taking a look
> > at.
>
> I really love reading the postings from Ian. I don't have a CLUE what he
> is talking about but it sure is fun to read! :-)
Oh, come now. Of course you can work it out. 'Live range splitting' is
obviously like building a major industrial park in the middle of a
wildlife area - claims of 'it will only disturb a tiny area, all the
animals keep the rest' ignore the major damage to the net ecology and
migration paths. Damage the migration paths and nesting areas of
temporary variables and you can end up with them being spilled from
registers into cache and on a bad day even flushed to paper tape. :-)

tim

Strange OpCodes: LOW: Launch on Warning