sound with linux rpm

Ned Konz ned at bike-nomad.com
Sat Aug 17 05:34:58 UTC 2002

On Friday 16 August 2002 09:46 pm, John Hinsley wrote:
> I've been lazy and just snagged the vm rpm.
>
> The sound is decidedly odd, but I'm using alsa rather than OSS. I
> get:
>
> sound:
> /home/sor/piumarta/public_html/squeak/unix/3.3-devel/platforms/unix
>/plugins/SoundPlugin/sqUnixSoundOSS.c:150: /dev/dsp: Resource
> temporarily unavailable
> sound: /dev/dsp: framing error (wrote 3424 of 5056)
>
> and so on.
>
> Am I right in thinking that I'm going to have to build the VM from
> source and everything will be wonderful again? Any pointers?

Is there anything else using the sound (like KDE, etc.)?

Have you tried this? I had to do it to get it to work (I think Ian
mentioned this in his README or on his web page). I'm doing it from
/etc/rc.d/rc.local:

# Set up ALSA so that Squeak can play back properly.
modprobe snd-pcm-oss
echo "squeak 0 0 block" > /proc/asound/card0/pcm0p/oss

--
Ned Konz
http://bike-nomad.com