sound with linux rpm

John Hinsley johnhinsley at blueyonder.co.uk
Sat Aug 17 13:42:13 UTC 2002

On Saturday 17 August 2002 05:34, Ned Konz wrote:
> On Friday 16 August 2002 09:46 pm, John Hinsley wrote:
> > I've been lazy and just snagged the vm rpm.
> >
> > The sound is decidedly odd, but I'm using alsa rather than OSS. I
> > get:
> >
> > sound:
> > /home/sor/piumarta/public_html/squeak/unix/3.3-devel/platforms/unix
> >/plugins/SoundPlugin/sqUnixSoundOSS.c:150: /dev/dsp: Resource
> > temporarily unavailable
> > sound: /dev/dsp: framing error (wrote 3424 of 5056)
> >
> > and so on.
> >
> > Am I right in thinking that I'm going to have to build the VM from
> > source and everything will be wonderful again? Any pointers?
>
> Is there anything else using the sound (like KDE, etc.)?

Not at that time -- that's to say I'm not closing any windows or doing
anything that would cause KDE to make a sound, but potentially it could. In
the past (with ALSA and Kde 2.2 -- also a 3 series XFree -- lots of potential
issues there!) it's been fine.

It's really strange: if I do

Speaker manWithHead say: 'If Java was a person it would be George Dubbya
Bush'.

then sometimes "George Dubbya Bush" will come out and sometimes "If Java was a
person".

> Have you tried this? I had to do it to get it to work (I think Ian
> mentioned this in his README or on his web page). I'm doing it from
> /etc/rc.d/rc.local:
>
> # Set up ALSA so that Squeak can play back properly.
> modprobe snd-pcm-oss
> echo "squeak 0 0 block" > /proc/asound/card0/pcm0p/oss

I'll give that a go. (And take a peek at the read me.) Thanks Ned!

Cheers

John