sound with linux rpm

John Hinsley johnhinsley at blueyonder.co.uk
Sat Aug 17 19:43:34 UTC 2002

On Saturday 17 August 2002 05:34, Ned Konz wrote:

> Have you tried this? I had to do it to get it to work (I think Ian
> mentioned this in his README or on his web page). I'm doing it from
> /etc/rc.d/rc.local:
>
> # Set up ALSA so that Squeak can play back properly.
> modprobe snd-pcm-oss
> echo "squeak 0 0 block" > /proc/asound/card0/pcm0p/oss

I tried it from /etc/init.d/boot.local (SuSE doesn't have a
/etc/rc.d/rc.local) but I'm sure that the module is being loaded (or loaded
twice with your code in!).

Stangely (or maybe not) while /proc/asound/card0/pcm0p/oss exists, init
reports that it doesn't (it exists as an empty document, owned by root).

I daresay I should have anticipated some kind of glitch using a RedHat rpm on
SuSE, but the rest of it all seems to work just fine (and worked OK on RedHat
before it was brutally murdered by up2date).

Has anyone got sound to work from the rpm on SuSE 8? Cees? (Worked fine with
source generated VM/Plugins on SuSE 6.4 with alsa).

Alternatively, I've either got to learn how to use VMMaker (I know, one day
it'll be the easy way to do it) or some kind soul can point me to a 3.2 final
source snapshot.

Cheers

John