sound with linux rpm

John Hinsley johnhinsley at blueyonder.co.uk
Sun Aug 18 20:08:49 UTC 2002

On Sunday 18 August 2002 01:52, Brian Keefer wrote:
> John Hinsley wrote:

> > > It doesn't exist until the snd-pcm-oss module is loaded and starts up.
> >
> > Ah, then I'm doomed ;-)
>
> I (used to *) have alsa working with squeak with those same contortions. I
> had a nice little /etc/alsafix.sh script called by /etc/rc.d/rc.local.
>
> #!/bin/sh
> /bin/echo "Setting alsa junk"
> CTLDEV=/proc/asound/card0/pcm0c/oss
> /bin/cat /dev/null > /dev/audio # needs to be opened first
> /bin/echo "erase" > $CTLDEV
> /bin/echo "squeak 2 8192" > $CTLDEV
> #and many more echos for other apps
>

> * - With each alsa revision, it got progressively harder to turn off the
> default muting. After 2 days of fighting rc2, I just went with OSS-Free.
> I'll only go back when it actually supports software mixing (i.e. never).

Thanks. The problem is that everyone (except, maybe, RedHat and Connectiva)
seem to think that Alsa is the way forward. Certainly I've found it better
(and utterly unproblematic apart from Squeak) for the limited range of sound
stuff I play with.

I've got a 10Gig drive doing nothing at the moment (I was going to put Gentoo
on it, but, IIRC, Gentoo have gone Alsa). I'll think about putting RedHat 7.3
on it and dedicating it to Squeak.

In the meantime, if anyone wants to do any forensics, spec is:

Squeak 3.2 #4917

SuSE LInux 8.0

alsa 0.9.0_cvs20020320-12

El Cheapo SB PCI card

Kde 3.0

XF86_4

There _may_ be some hope as there are still some alsa bits and peices which
I've not investigated. Yet.

Cheers

John