Back to AI work.

Alan Grimes alangrimes at starpower.net
Mon Aug 19 07:21:00 UTC 2002

> On Sunday 18 August 2002 01:05 pm, Alan Grimes wrote:

> Depending on what you want your users to be able to manipulate, you
> may well find that separate Morphs make more sense. If you just want
> to draw something on a big background, you can subclass PasteUpMorph
> and override its drawOn: method (and make a new Project subclass that
> uses one of these). Look at the implementors of drawOn:.

k; /me will look into these.

> Form isn't, itself, a UI object. It's just a representation of some
> bitmap that can be drawn (it does no user interaction). There is
> ImageMorph, which is a Morph with its own Form. These may make more
> sense to use in your UI. You can receive and respond to user input
> events (mouse, keyboard), you can implement animation or other
> periodic behavior, and you can re-position the image within the
> world.

I fear that I have not succeded in conveying what I am trying to do with
this. I am not yet worrying about constructing the "user" interface, but
rather I need to achieve a very odd capability. That is when I begin to
write my AI classes, I will need them to be _IN FRONT OF_ the user
interface. I need to be able to perform a pixel by pixel analysis of
whatever is presented on the screen. The stuff _BEHIND_ the user
interface will be extremely mundane asside from the security
restrictions.

The software that I am writing today will not be, in any direct way,
driven by the AI but rather USED. I know that I am trying to catch a
whale on my first day fishing but it takes something that big to hold my
interest. ;)

To try to capture where I am in my design better, I threw togeather this
diagram. I hope that viewing this will not be inconvenient as I had to
copy it over via flopy from my leenooks machine. (damnit, why the hell
do I have to umount in the early 2000's!!!)...

The best way of conceptualizing what I am trying to do is probably by
saying:

	"I am trying to write a user emulator and to test that emulator I need
to produce a user interface that can act as a medium between the user
and the user emulator in development."

--
Linux has more source code than my brain.
http://users.rcn.com/alangrimes/