Hmm, the NTK view of Squeak.

Bob Ingria ingria at world.std.com
Tue Aug 20 01:36:40 UTC 2002

At 11:17 AM 8/19/2002 +0200, Bruce ONeel wrote:
>NTK is at www.ntk.net.  It's fairly funny most of the time.

Methinks you confuse wit with humor.  The two are quite distinct, and Mr.
(?) NTK is clearly aiming for jaundiced, world-weary, biting wit.

I have to ask: who is this coprocephalic (and, I might add,
coproencephalic*), such that I should give a good goddamn about his
oh-so-superior, isn't everyone else so stupid compared to my infinite
wisdom, attitude?  I browsed through some of his previous stuff, and it's
all in the same monotone: infinite self-love combined with infinite scorn
for everything and everyone else out there.

If I want a dose of that kind of 'tude --- unbounded sense of entitlement
coupled with zero actual accomplishment --- I can get it in spades on MTV,
VH-1, the WB, and various other tee-vee preserves of the terminally clueless.

I know, I know, I should lighten up and not take it so seriously.  It's not
the criticism of Squeak, or anything else in particular, that infuriates
me, it's the unearned sense of superiority, which keeps cropping up in
various media personalities with what seems to be increasing
regularity.  It's a knee-jerk negativism that seeks to pawn itself off as
critical thinking and reasoned skepticism.  It's all pose and no content
(no thought, either).  And, by a kind of Greshamite law, bad thinking
drives out good, so the continued viability of NTK & co. as media fixtures
bodes ill for real thought, about anything.  So meditate on *that* at
second level.

* "Benefits of a classical education."
         --- Alan Rickman, as Hans Gruber, in _Die Hard_

-30-
Bob Ingria
As always, at a slight angle to the universe