[ANN] SqueakMap-020815

goran.hultgren at bluefish.se goran.hultgren at bluefish.se
Tue Aug 20 07:55:54 UTC 2002

Tom Rushworth <tbr at mannynkapy.net> wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 19, 2002 at 09:51:34AM +0100, goran.hultgren at bluefish.se wrote:
[SNIP]
> > Well, since I don't fancy the tree widget (in general in any GUI or OS)
> > I am thinking of a design similar to a normal browser actually:
>
> If you don't like tree widgets :), consider the Mac OS X (or NextStep)
> directory browser paradigm.  Multiple columns, with any given column
> showing the contents of the selected item from the column to the left.

That was more or less what I was thinking of. In some way. :-) The idea
was having 4 columns like this:

| Categories |  Subcategories |  Packages |  SelectedPackages (like a
shopping basket) |

Then the Packages column either shows packages in selected "Categories"
or (if selected) selected "Subcategories".
Then I was thinking of having some form of "flatten" choice so that
Packages shows all Packages from the selected category/subcategory and
downwards.

Using doubleclick (or something I intended the columns to "scroll down"
into the tree structure of Categories and then have some way of backing
up to level of choice.

Now I am thinking of moving both "Packages" and "SelectedPackages" down
below the two category columns. And perhaps add a third category column
making the depth even more visible.

> This has problems too though - for example you can't look at the contents
> of two directories at the same level at the same time.

True. But for SqueakMap I think people will tend to "navigate" more than
"compare". If you know what I mean.

> Another browser to look at is the squeak whisker browser.

Sure. :-) But that is overkill for both me and SqueakMap I think.

Hmmm, we will see by the end of the day what I come up with - it was
almost working yesterday to some extent.

regards, Göran