[BUG]Collection>>removeAll:

Ian Piumarta ian.piumarta at inria.fr
Wed Aug 21 14:52:13 UTC 2002

On Wed, 21 Aug 2002, Ralph Johnson wrote:

> I see two arguments against this change.  One is that it would
> break existing programs.  I find this hard to believe.  Nobody
> depends on the behavior of changing a collection while you are
> iterating over it.

But...  whenever I want 9 copies of an object, I *always* put it in an
OrderedCollection and ask it to addAll: to itself.  It's just *sooo*
convenient to be able to do it this way in Squeak.

;^)

> which aren't very realistic but are easy to run.  It was about 20% slower,
> which was more than I expected.  I expected real programs to be about 5%
> slower.  I don't have time to test it on a real program, but I'll do it
> later.

_The_ acid test would be to make these changes in Squeak and then
benchmark the generation of the VM from class Interpreter and friends.
The CCodeGenerator spends a _lot_ of its time iterating over collections
in order to do "real" work.

Ian