NFS server for Smalltalk?

Aaron reic0024 at d.umn.edu
Thu Aug 22 19:57:06 UTC 2002

Stephen Pair wrote:
> Has anyone ever implemented NFS for Smalltalk?  The reason I ask is that
> now that I'm starting to store files in a BerkeleyDB database, I'd like
> to retain the convenience of having shell access to those files.
> Implementing an NFS server for Squeak seems like the natural way of
> doing that.  Plus it would be really neat!

When you say that you're storing files in the BDB, do you mean like
general, non-squeak data that used to be in flat files, but now live in
the database?

I'm not sure why NFS would be the best way to get to data in a BDB?  NSF
is pretty ugly and insecure, and not even too terribly popular for the
general netizen.  Perhaps a WebDAV server (or something close enough, but
home brewed) or even an FTP server in Squeak plus a nice file browser on
the client end like RBrowser?

But in general to me, the idea of exposing not only your BDBs as a
filesystem look a like, but Squeak objects in general seems interesting...
we could have something like the Medusa FTP server (is that what it's
called?) like used in Zope.  From your client end it looks like you're
ftping to a computer's file system, but you're really FTPing into an OODB.

Regards,
Aaron