Newbie questions...

Ian Piumarta ian.piumarta at inria.fr
Thu Aug 22 23:04:01 UTC 2002

On 22 Aug 2002, Konrad Hinsen wrote:

> So I suppose it is the programmer's task to define what goes into
> a change set?

I'm going to answer this from a slightly different angle to the two
replies I've seen so far (since I can't quite figure out from which angle
the original question was asked).

Stuff goes into a change set automatically.  Whenever you make a change,
that change gets logged and inerted into the current change set.
Automatically.  You don't have to do anything explicit to "define" "what"
goes into the change set: everything goes in.

> On what level do change sets work? Class, method, code line... ?

All of the above.  (Changes to methods, no matter how minimal, are
considered as a completely new definition of the method.)

Looking at this from the other angle: change sets normally work on the
project level.  When you create and enter a new project, that project has
its own change set into which changes made in that project are logged.
Projects remember to which change set changes made within them should be
logged, so things don't get confusing if you work on several thing in
several different projects.

You can, however, use a "change sorter" to change the "active" change set
(the one into which changes are logged in the current project) at any
time, and to delete any changes that you think are no longer relevant.
There is also a "dual change sorter" which you can use to move/copy
changes between change sets.

In summary: change sets do almost all of the work of preparing a
"distribution" of whatever you're working on, without you having to do
anything explicit beyond a little "tidying up" using a change sorter just
before you file-out the finished gizmo.

Sorry if all of that was obvious.  I just thought that maybe the question
might have been coming from "another direction".

Ian