Swiki pollution...

Torge Husfeldt Torge.Husfeldt at gmx.de
Fri Aug 23 08:50:45 UTC 2002

Hi,
I think the first thing we should do is to write down terms and condidions of use of the swiki, make them appear on every edit page (shortened and with a link to the full version (posiibly showing in a different window)) and add a checkbox reading "I know and accept the terms and condidtions of use of this swiki" initially unchecked. If the submitter doesn't check this box he will be given a second chance (maybe provide for not losing pending edits here).
Without such a disclaimer the offender doesn't even have a chance to kwon that his contributions are unwanted other by detecting that they're being undone the next day or so.

The "terms" should state:
-The goal of the community
-Places of swikis with less narrow focus/places to set up your own swiki
-legal issues

Note that in some countries it isn't even possible to deny the responsibility of the contents provided by anonymous commiters. This is why most guestbooks that belong to companies (in germany at least) use the 'valid eMail known to site owner' policy. Which we might have to adopt eventually (in case swiki owners get prosecuted for illegal activities taking place on their sites).

Just my two eurocents,
Torge