Persistence VM?

Tim Rowledge tim at sumeru.stanford.edu
Sat Aug 24 02:39:24 UTC 2002

"Stephen Pair" <spair at acm.org> is claimed by the authorities to have written:

> I'm attempting to build a BerkeleyDB persistence solution for Squeak.  I
> had hoped that I could do this without modifying the VM...however, I'm
> coming to the conclusion that a few key modifications to the VM would
> make life much simpler.
After reading this thread and musing awhile, I have to say that I would
be inclined to use a VM with an Object Table for this kind of work. It
makes assorted becomes and forwardings a lot simpler, provides a full
30-odd bit hash for any object and just seems to offer quite a lot for
the money.

tim

Fractured Idiom:- VENI, VIDI, VICE - I came, I saw, I partied.