Use of Underscores

Richard A. O'Keefe ok at cs.otago.ac.nz
Mon Aug 26 00:45:10 UTC 2002

"Stephen Pair" <spair at acm.org> wrote:
	To: <squeak-dev at lists.squeakfoundation.org>  ...
	So, now I'd say let's adopt a more standard type face that agrees with
	the rest of the world for our fonts,

We have.  This year I've used Squeak in classrooms a fair bit,
including the Software Engineering paper.

I start by setting the fonts to "New York 18" so that what I see on
the screen will be readable when projected on the screen.

There is no left arrow in New York 18.  Nor an up arrow either.
New York 12, yes.
New York 15, yes.
New York 18, NO.
New York 24, no.

This is something of a pain.  It still hasn't been fixed in Squeak 3.2.
(It's also a pain that the System Browser still chooses all its sizes
based on a 12-point font; why doesn't it format some text, measure it,
and choose sizes based on that?)

	and switch to := for assignment.

So when I'm giving these demonstrations, I have no choice in the matter;
I have to use := already.

I personally like the left arrow and up arrow, so I just wish someone
who understands more about fonts than I do (which is almost nothing)
could at least fix the fonts Squeak already has to be consistent.

Arguing about #removeAll: is instructive, but inconsistent system fonts
is a *real* pain.