Exploration Information Needed

Jason Dufair jase at dufair.org
Mon Aug 26 16:21:16 UTC 2002

Albert wrote:

> Hello Everyone,
>

>             Sometimes the binoculars need stronger lenses. I am on the
> learning path for squeak. I have done a lot of etoy scripting, browsed
> a lot of the code and typed in examples from the squeak books. The
> code I am currently browsing is in the Graphics package. As I was
> exploring this package I wanted to see how some of the primitive
> classes and other graphical classes are being used in the squeak image
> that is currently running in front of me. Is there a way or place to
> look for the code that is actually running the system in front of me?
> In other words where would I go if I wanted to see the first line of
> smalltalk written for squeak? This would help me with understanding
> the Graphics package.

If I understand correctly, you're just trying to "get to the bottom of
the whole thing," right?  The Smalltalk equivalent of finding "void
main(void)"?  This is a common request of those new to Smalltalk and it
can be very disconcerting to find that the answer is "there really is
none".  I reccommend looking at it more like a set of Legos.  Don't
start out by wondering about the chemical composition of the PVC that
the bricks are made of, just keep building towers and spaceships.  At
some point, you can get into the VM and the interface via primitive
methods.  It sounds like you may want to get into Morphic based on what
you've said.  I'd recommend any number of good Morphic tutorials on the
web and especially the Squeak Swiki.

Maybe I've read this wrong as you do mention having looked at
primitives.  But I wouldn't worry about the Graphics package, per se.
 Is there something you want to do with graphics?

Jason Dufair - jase at dufair.org
http://www.dufair.org/
"We're no longer called Sonic Death Monkey.  We're on the verge
of becoming Kathleen Turner Overdrive, but just for tonight, we are
Barry Jive and his Uptown Five."
-- Barry (High Fidelity)