A new prospect for Squeak + GTK+

goran.hultgren at bluefish.se goran.hultgren at bluefish.se
Thu Aug 29 08:44:42 UTC 2002

Hi all!

Just a small note: Stable Squeak has code for describing UIs in XML. In
fact, they also rewrote a bunch of the standard tools in Squeak to use
that IIRC. There might be stuff there to "loot".

Otherwise this idea is something I have been mentioning on and off on
this list over the years, especially for "business apps" and it is nice
to see that there is at least someone else with similar ideas in mind.

I called my idea "UIPlayer" in which a simple Socket protocol (not
necessarily using XML though) could drive UIs remotely on the "widget
and event level" (instead of the pixel level like X) and then we could
easily produce players for different OSes/Widgetkits. One obvious first
would then be a Morphic player. Then Gtk, WXWindows perhaps etc.

regards, Göran