GC behavior?

Bob Arning arning at charm.net
Thu Aug 29 12:07:30 UTC 2002

On Thu, 29 Aug 2002 06:11:15 -0400 "Stephen Pair" <spair at acm.org> wrote:
>Is
>there some way that this (that the VM keeps doing IGCs because of low
>space as opposed to reaching the allocation threshold) could be
>detected?

Try changing the allocation threshold and see if that makes any difference. Here's a method I use:

'From Squeak3.2gamma of 15 January 2002 [latest update: #4743] on 29 August 2002 at 8:06:14 am'!

!SystemDictionary methodsFor: 'miscellaneous' stamp: 'RAA 6/14/2002 14:41'!
useLargerAllocationsFor: aBlock
"increase the number of allocations between incremental GC's in hopes of gaining speed"
	| old answer |

	old _ self vmParameterAt: 5.
	self vmParameterAt: 5 put: 300000.
	answer _ aBlock value.