[BUG] Process>>debugWithTitle: no longer works (help!)

Ned Konz ned at bike-nomad.com
Thu Aug 29 18:39:50 UTC 2002

Hi experts,

When I made the ProcessBrowser, I also made a debugWithTitle: method
in Process that allowed debugging of any process: running or not, UI
or not. It used to work in MVC and Morphic. (it's what the
ProcessBrowser uses for its "debug" action).

However, more recent changes to Debugger (or something) have broken
this functionality, at least in MVC.

I've looked at Debugger, but I can't quite figure out what's wrong.

Could someone who's familiar with the debugger code (Andreas? Scott?
Dan? Ted?) point me in the right direction?

Here's a test that ought to work in both MVC and Morphic. This should
be two separate DoIts.

p := [[123.4 printString ] repeat] forkAt: 30.

p debugWithTitle: 'oops'

In Morphic, this usually (well, often at least) works OK (though I
have seen a "Recursive not understood error encountered" crash).

In MVC, a notifier will be raised. If you choose Debug, you will be
able to interact with the Debugger briefly. Try stepping once or
twice, and then click on one of the lines in the stack pane. You see
the context flash into view and then get erased. At some point the
whole MVC environment is likely to stop working properly.

I suspect that my code should be changed to correctly handle both
environments. But I don't know what changes are necessary.

Is there something we can do to make it possible to debug an arbitrary
process in MVC and Morphic?

Thanks,
--
Ned Konz