Design Patterns and Collection Classes

David Griswold David.Griswold at acm.org
Fri Aug 30 19:53:43 UTC 2002

"Richard A. O'Keefe" <ok at cs.otago.ac.nz> wrote:
> Helge.Horch at t-online.de (Helge Horch) provided LessPvt.1.cs.
>
> Ta muchly.
>
> 	>Anyone read the paper about Smalltalk collections in OOPSLA 92?
>
> 	I googled that you probably meant William R. Cook's
> "Interfaces and
> 	Specifications for the Smalltalk-80 Collection
> Classes", and CiteSeer
> 	was able to come up with a location on the web.  A
> *very* interesting
> 	read indeed.
>
> That's the one.

Cook's work on cleaner specification of the Collection classes was
incorporated into the Strongtalk libraries.   The Extensible protocol I
mentioned earlier is an example of that.  Since I had a type system at
my disposal, I was also able to do a lot more formal verification of
signature compatibility in the hierarchy.  Additionally, lots of
semantic substitutability cleanups were made, that go beyond the typing
issues.

So if anyone is interested in what an actual implementation of such a
cleaner heirarchy would look like, it is right there in Strongtalk (and
is freely borrowable, as well).

Cheers,
Dave