Question on cards and fields on stackmorphs

David Raftery David_Raftery at raytheon.com
Fri Aug 30 18:57:09 UTC 2002

Hi,
I have been trying to figure out how to drag and drop fields into the
different parts of a stackmorph with limited sucess. I have read stackmorph
information on the squeak wiki including where it says "the data for a
single card is stored in a CardPlayer". Here is what I have learned  from
experimenting so far:

1 The show designations button on the controls menu at the top of the stack
will show whether a morph on the stack is on the background - shared by
each card (green), on the card - instance specific (red) or a data item on
the background (tan).

2 Dragging a text morph onto a stackmorph makes it an instance specific
(red designation) morph.

3 To place a text morph on the background as a shared item (green
designation), place a morph on the stack, select the red menu halo and from
the  stacks and cards  menu, select put on background option. The morph
will now show up on every card.

My questions are:

1 How do I create a morph and make it a data item on background (tan
designation)? This has me stumped.

2 Each text morph can be given a unique label. How is this used? Does it
tie in to making it a data item on the background.

I will eventually try and make a tutorial with what I have learned on how
to use stackmorphs.

Thanks,
Dave