[bug] SqueakMap walkback

goran.hultgren at bluefish.se goran.hultgren at bluefish.se
Mon Dec 2 08:56:52 UTC 2002

merlyn at stonehenge.com (Randal L. Schwartz) wrote:
> while trying to "download" the "refactoring browser for 3.2"
>
> Is SqueakMap not ready for prime time yet?  or did I just hold
> my tongue wrong.  This is the second or third thing I tried.

Well, I think SqueakMap is ready for use - but there are some small bugs
of course.
The SqueakMap Browser has been a bit dormant because I have been
focusing on the SqueakMap base instead - the SM Package Loader is
probably more "field tested".

Anyway, you discovered a bug. :-) This bug manifests itself by giving
you the menuchoice "download" even though there is no Installer in your
image that thinks it can install the package in question (because it is
a .sar package and you need to install the SARInstaller first to handle
those).

The current architecture is quite a bit flawed (and yes, we have a new
one brewing) but this is a clear bug. I will fix it during the day I
think.

I am just in the midst of changing the way "SqueakMap" itself is
packaged so that most users will get a lot of "goodie" packages
installed when installing SqueakMap - this would include PackageInfo,
DVS and SARInstaller (for the correct Squeak version) so that as many
packages as possible are installable. This also includes Ned's recent
"makeover" of the error reporting in SM Package Loader/SqueakMap1.0x.

And - the answer to your two next questions are "No, dependencies would
not solve this particular case because SqueakMap doesn't *depend* on
SARInstaller - it works just fine without it - and, yes - I am working
on releases, dependencies etc in SqueakMap 1.1".

regards, Göran