[BUG] SqueakMap Package Loader

goran.hultgren at bluefish.se goran.hultgren at bluefish.se
Mon Dec 2 09:31:35 UTC 2002

Hi Nick and all!

Nick Brown <maillist at bredon-gill.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> Hi everyone.
>
> I finally got round to updating to 3.4 and trying out SqueakMap from
> within Squeak. However, I'm behind an http proxy, and it looks like
> I'm running into exactly the same problem as Alejandro Magistrello
> reported a while back.
>
> I'm running the latest version of 3.4a, with the latest win32 VM, I've
> double checked that Squeak is set up to use the proxy, and that access
> to port 8000 is ok.

I think I removed the need for port 8000 recently.

> (1)	From the world menu, I choose Open>>Package Loader. An error
> message tells me that no servers are responding. I modify
> TheWorldMenu(class)>>loadSqueakMap to bypass the check using the
> NetNameResolver (as detailed on minnow), and try again.
>
> (2)	SqueakMap now loads, reports that no servers are available,
> and produces a DNU because of trying to load a package (presumably the
> SMLoader) with an empty map.

Oops. Perhaps some better checking there could be needed.

> (3)	I comment out the first few lines of SMSqueakMap>>pingServer:
> and SMSqueakMap(class)>>pingServer:, again to bypass the
> NetNameResolver check. (as detailed in a posting by Göran on the list
>
> (4)	Now I guess I need to try to download a map. I do the
> following in a workspace...
>
> SMSqueakMap allInstances first loadFull
>
> and I get a second log file in the sm subdirectory, of about 125K, so
> I think this has succeeded.

Yep, all fine.

> (5)	Next I opened a changesorter, and looked at the postscript for
> squeakmap-1_04, and selected the line...
>
> Cursor wait showWhile: [SMSqueakMap default loadUpdates
> installPackageWithId: ...etc
>
> and after a DoIt, the Package Loader appeared on screen. From here on,
> everything has worked ok, and I have been able to download and install
> packages fine.

Sounds good to me.

> Rather than doing all of this, if I download squeakmap as a .cs.gz
> from the squeakmap website and file it in, it takes me straight to
> step 2, and the procedure from there on is the same.
>

> So it looks to me as if everything basically works - it's just that
> SqueakMap sometimes thinks that things aren't going to work and so
> doesn't try. Perhaps as a very simple solution, whenever SqueakMap
> complains that it can't find any servers, we should just have an
> option which says "I'm behind a proxy - try it anyway".

Sounds smart. Basically, if I understood you correctly - the resolving
doesn't work if you are behind a proxy, right? Then we should probably
add a confirm there like "Couldn't resolve yaddayadda, proceed anyway?".

> I follow this list closely, and I'll be happy to try out any solutions
> or go into more detail about the problems in order to help get this
> fixed.

I will add this confirm in 1.05 (which is packaged differently just to
confuse you :-) and then we will see if it works better. 1.05 is due out
today/tomorrow - need to synchronize with Daniel on "SM Package Loader"
because they both need to change at the same time.

regards, Göran