Regular- or context-free grammars with objects?

Brian T Rice water at tunes.org
Mon Dec 2 20:12:45 UTC 2002

On Mon, 2 Dec 2002, Marcel Weiher wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> the code I've seen for parsing regular expressions or context-free
> grammars seems to pretty much assume that one is dealing with strings
> (or is it just my impression?).  Is anybody aware of, for examle,
> object-based regex?  How about diff?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Marcel

The closest that I've seen are some very basic pattern recognizers for
input events, to generalize them to higher-level events and recording undo
information at that level. This performs things like transforming
"<mouse-down point: a><move>*<mouse-up point: b>" into "<drag from: a
to: b>". It'd be nice to see something better, since the way this is
implemented is usually based on strict lookahead without much grammar.

--
Brian T. Rice
LOGOS Research and Development
mailto:water at tunes.org