[ANN] [UPDATES] Squeak 3.4 now in beta

John M McIntosh johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com
Wed Dec 4 05:07:26 UTC 2002

Thanks, since I spent the last two days wet in a boat counting shrimp
so that us locals can tell fisheries when to close/open the session I
seem to have miss that update, ya, still in my inbox.

Now passing :foo::fie.txt *should" resolve to a correct path, but I
will point out that in the case where bright mac programmers do
"foo:bar alias:toobar alias::fum:fie.txt"

That will fail because (mostly likely) because the generic OS logic to
resolve the path names will see the two alias indirections and give up.
That falls back to some messy code written in C that walks the path.
However I bail on the '::' because things get way too complicated.
Apple of course should really provide a robust OS routine to do this.
(yes yes extrafiles stuff) but really it should be an OS routine.

But lets fall back a bit here:

Hows does the SARInstaller end up with a '::' in a full path name? That
requires this fix?

On Tuesday, December 3, 2002, at 05:10  PM, Richard A. O'Keefe wrote:

> Scott Wallace <scott.wallace at squeakland.org>
> announced updates to Squeak 3.4.
> One of them puzzles me mightily:
> 	5131macRelativeFNFix-nk -- Ned Konz -- 23 November 2002
> 	The SARInstaller didn't work on the Connectors package because it
> 	wasn't able to make the required subdirectories.
> 	This change set fixes the handling of relative and absolute filenames
> 	under MacOS, and uses these conventions:
> 	* fileName starts with :: -> absolute
> 	* fileName starts with : -> relative
> 	* fileName starts with the name of a folder under the root -> absolute
> 	* otherwise -> relative
> 	It also fixes ArchiveViewer to use the previously-fixed extraction
> 	code in ZipArchiveMember.
>
> In MacOS, ::foo does not signify an absolute path,
> but a path relative to the parent directory.
> No other Macintosh programming language I've used
> interprets multiple leading colons in a file name as absolute.
>
> Why was this convention chosen?

===