[ANN] SqueakMap 1.05

Nick Brown maillist at bredon-gill.demon.co.uk
Wed Dec 4 07:57:20 UTC 2002

Hi Göran.

I've been trying to load the new version of SqueakMap from behind a
proxy as before. I realise that you don't claim to have fixed all the
proxy-related problems with this release, but, just for the record
I'll give you the complete run down....

1.	Obviously the new version of SM does nothing to change the
bootstrap code in TheWorldMenu, so this still needs to be modified by
hand.

2.	After being asked whether I want to load SqueakMap or not,
another menu appears, basically saying:
"map1.squeakfoundation.org can not be resolved in DNS.
This may be because you are behind a proxy and then you can safely
proceed. Proceed?"

3.	Answering yes to this, and after a short while I get the same
message again, this time for map2.squeakfoundation.org. Answering yes
to this, and SqueakMap starts to load. Excellent!

4.	I now get a message:
"Squeakmap 1.05 has been installed. Will now continue with installing
blablabla. First the map will be updated."

5.	After I OK this, I get a pink error window, titled:
"Error: All SqueakMap master servers are down:
'map1.squeakfoundation.org' 'map2.squeakfoundation.org'
'map.squeak.org' etc etc". See attached "serversdown.log" - which is
just a "squeakdebug.log" renamed.

6.	Clicking on 'Proceed' gets me a further error window, "Message
not understood: downloadFileName". See attached
"downloadfilename.log".

This I think is the same "attempting to load a package with an empty
map" problem as I had before. As before, forcing SqueakMap to download
the map and then loading the speficied packages by hand works. Also
allowing SqueakMap to find and use the map that was download a few
days ago by the old version also works.

So in conclusion there is definetly some progress here. With the old
version I would have hit a problem at steps 2-3, but this now works
fine. Could similar modifications be made to the bootstrap code in
TheWorldMenu, and pushed into the update stream before 3.4 goes final?

Lastly, there is still the problem at step 5, (and step 6 is a symptom
of this, of course). I'm sure I'm telling you a lot that you already
know, but hopefully its of some use to you.

Regards,
Nick Brown