Mail list etiquette (was: Mail list attachments)

Ned Konz ned at bike-nomad.com
Wed Dec 4 16:24:23 UTC 2002

On Wednesday 04 December 2002 05:56 am, David Faught wrote:
> On Wed, 27 Nov 2002, Bert Freudenberg squeaked:
> >Another place to look would have been the SqFixes archive which
> >collects
> >all properly tagged messages ([GOODIES] etc). One of the reasons
> > of implementing this myself was getting proper attachment
> > handling:
> >
> >http://swiki.gsug.org/sqfixes/
>
> Okay, I'll bite.  Looking at the mailing list index tells me that
> I'm not alone here.  What makes a message properly tagged?  Where
> are the proper tags defined to use on properly tagged messages?
> How important is this really?

This is described at:
http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/398

The post should include in the subject line the keyword [BUG] (for bug
reports), [RFI] (requests for implementation), [FIX] (bug fixes),
[ENH] (enhancements), [GOODIE], or [ANN] (announcements), as
appropriate. The subject should not include "Re:" or anything else
before the bracketed keywords. If your changeset involves any VM or
VM plugin changes (basically any SLANG or C code), please also
include a [VM] keyword (such as [FIX][VM]), so that the VM
maintainers will be able to keep track of it.

These keywords are necessary to automatically compile the reports into
the Bug Fixes Archive at http://swiki.gsug.org/sqfixes/ (for [FIX],
[ENH], [GOODIE], [ANN]), and also the Bug Reports Archive at
http://swiki.gsug.org/sqbugs/ (for [BUG], [RFI]). The items in the
Bug Fixes Archive are then scanned by The Harvesters for possible
inclusion into the main Squeak release.

When you release updates to an enhancement please use exactly the same
subject as in your first post. That way, different versions will be
grouped in the Fixes archive. You may add additional version comments
in round parens. So a well-formed subject would look like this:

   Subject: [ENH] Triangular Browser (v1.2, added animation)

--
Ned Konz
http://bike-nomad.com