[ANN] Named Process (on SqueakMap)

Stephen Pair spair at acm.org
Thu Dec 5 19:23:07 UTC 2002

Bill Schwab wrote:
> Named processes is a long-overdue feature IMHO.  However, I'm a
> little nervous about this being a SqueakMap entry.

Why?  You do test a package before using it in a critical image don't
you... ;)

> what about the VM diagnostics to dump a call stack?  Does the
> VM make assumptions about the iv layout of Process; it seems
> like it would have to do so.

Could you give an example where it is a problem?  If it is indeed a
problem, I should be able to fix it.  But AFAIK, the VM does make
assumptions about the ivar layout of Process, but only for the first few
ivars...you are free to add ivars *to the end* of the normal ivars.  I
have been using this ivar layout for Process for about 4 years now (give
or take an ivar or two).

Regarding #processName, I too would like to use #name and #name:;
however, for some reason, the process browser checks for the presence of
#processName (why, I don't know...perhaps someone could shed some
light).  Also, I have some faint recollection of some sort of weirdness
wrt to Behavior>>name, so to avoid any confusion I used
#processName...that issue might no longer be an issue though.

If you like, try changing the accessors to #name(:), and senders of
#processName(:) and see if it works (also check the process browser).

Anyway, I agree that its long overdue...I've been using process names
for several years and it really helps a bunch (when you are diligent
about assigning names to your processes that is).

- Stephen