Croquet alpha release(s?)

Daniel Vainsencher danielv at netvision.net.il
Thu Dec 5 20:27:13 UTC 2002

On one hand, beating C++ performance at numeric stuff with such a clean
interface is surely nice. On the other hand, assuming most of the code
in squeak remains very much unrelated to such things, I would prefer to
leave the default compiler (and even more so, the default syntax)
unaltered.

Does it seem reasonable to you to use the #compilerClass hook to
localize the effects of the Matrix hacks? I think of this as a less
drastic plugin technology for a specific kind of performance critical
code, similar to primitives. Or do you see Matrix operations becoming
common to so many people that the two dialects would only be confusing?

Daniel Vainsencher