[ANN] [UPDATES] Squeak 3.4 now in beta

Bert Freudenberg bert at isg.cs.uni-magdeburg.de
Thu Dec 5 21:35:00 UTC 2002

On Thu, 5 Dec 2002, Tim Rowledge wrote:

> And just for info, in case anyone is considering what to do to improve
> the foetid pile of dingo feces currently comprising FileDirectory,
> here is the Acorn equivalents.
> [...]
> ADFS::TheDiscName.$.anAbsolute.path
> NB ADFS is the filing system name and currently I know of
> ADFS, NFS, IDEFS, raFS, RAMFS, DOSFS, SCSIFS, ResourceFS, PipeFS,  and
> even kbfFS (yes, the keyboard can be treated as a filesystem. Wierd,
> huh).  The first $: ends the filingsystem name, the second $: starts the
> disc specification - which can be a number or a name. Getting confused
> yet? I am. Oh, the $$ is almost redundant and since I use the OS
> canonicalize call every timea path gets passed to the system it gets
> added automagically.

Oh dear. The Unix guys really have been far-sighted when they created (or
maybe adopted) the single-rooted path name hierarchy. It's _so_ much
simpler to use than everything else out there ... No wonder it was adopted
for URLs, too. Can't we just do the same? That is, use Unix/URL-like
notation in the image and let the VM worry about mapping that to
platform path names?

-- Bert