Croquet alpha release(s?)

Bert Freudenberg bert at isg.cs.uni-magdeburg.de
Fri Dec 6 11:03:23 UTC 2002

On Fri, 6 Dec 2002, Joshua D Boyd wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 05, 2002 at 03:03:08AM -0500, Joshua 'Schwa' Gargus wrote:
>
> > Tell me more!  Arbitrary n-D matrix operations will be hardware
> > accelerated, yet accessed through a nice (extended) Smalltalk
> > interface?  Cool!

Actually I think David was referring to Vector Processing Units. This is
AltiVec on PowerPC, MMX/SSE on Intel, 3DNow! on AMD, etc (?). So the
discussion goes a little bit in the wrong direction, but it's interesting
still ;-)

> > I understand that consumer graphics cards generally have bad
> > performance when it comes to reading data back from the card (ie:
> > glReadPixels).  Has/will this changed with the latest hardware (Radeon
> > 9700 and NV30)?

Not fundamentally, I think.

> >  Could you give a general idea of the bandwidth
> > available?  The reason I ask is that I can imagine speeding up things
> > like genetic algorithms.  Ideally, the objective function could be
> > compiled to run on the graphics hardware, but realistically it would
> > probably often require the CPU (please tell me I'm wrong).  In this
> > case, bandwidth from the VPU to the CPU becomes important.

As I said, VPU means the on-processor vector units. Generally the graphics
processor is referred to as "GPU". Only recently some companies (3Dlabs,
ATI) have begun to name their boards "Visual Processing Units", probably
to distinguish them from NVIDIA, and causing confusion with this.

> I've had good luck with reading vertexs and matrices back from Geforce3
> and Quadro4 cards.  Never tried using glReadPixels.

Graphics boards are optimized for getting data _to_ the screen, not back.
In fact, there are "pure" modes where your application promises the
graphics subsystem to never ever read back any state, which allows the
driver to much more aggressively optimize its internal processing.

OTOH, newer drivers have considerably sped up read-back rate for recent
NVIDIA boards. It's just that hardware vendors put much more effort into
optimizing the common pathes first. If you really need fast read-back
capabilities you have to look in the professional market - one (if not the
only) selling point of SGI machines today is _bandwidth_.

> It used to be that the trick of getting good graphics out of a Indigo2
> Impact was to push as much work onto the graphics subsystem, and
> surprisingly, cache some of the state of the graphics subsystem to
> minimize the number of glEnables and glDisables called.  I can't say
> that this is really the best thing to do these days.

It still is.

-- Bert