[Question] Having brains again after being headless?

Bert Freudenberg bert at isg.cs.uni-magdeburg.de
Fri Dec 6 17:34:52 UTC 2002

On Fri, 6 Dec 2002, Stephen Pair wrote:

> Yes, it is possible, I do it with Swiki.net.  For those that are
> familiar with the Linux (RedHat) 'service' command, I have an init
> script that allows me to:
>
> 	service chango capitate
> 	service chango decapitate

And for those who are not familiar with the 'service' command: it does
nothing more than calling a script in /etc/init.d/, so the same would have
been achieved with

	/etc/init.d/chango capitate
	/etc/init.d/chango decapitate

which is much less obscure IMNSHO ;-)

The meat must be in the "chango" script Stephen did not post. But probably
it looks like

	echo capitate | /dev/tcp/localhost/12345

which would be the simplest way to open a TCP connection from BASH.

-- Bert