[Question] Having brains again after being headless?

Stephen Pair spair at acm.org
Fri Dec 6 19:54:41 UTC 2002

Ian,

> Stephen and Dave, OTOH,
> have approaches much more in line with Squeak's "philosophy".)

Actually, the signaling method sounds appealing...what are the Unix
security rules regarding signaling of processes?  It sounds like it
might be a little safer from a security standpoint to use a signal
rather than a socket.  OTOH...I still need to be able to communicate
*which* display on which to capitate the Squeak display.

> As for (un)loading (or reconfiguring) huge piles of Unix VM
> support code (GUI or otherwise) on demand, watch this space. ;)

Yes!  Sounds cool!  What about opening multiple displays for a single
Squeak process???  :-))

I realize that there is a lot of gutting that'll probably have to happen
on the Smalltalk side to allow multiple displays, but I wouldn't think
that making the display support plugin handle opening multiple windows
be too difficult would it?  The gutting can happen later.

- Stephen