[ANN] StarBrowser v4 on SqueakMap

Ned Konz ned at bike-nomad.com
Sat Dec 7 16:28:08 UTC 2002

On Saturday 07 December 2002 01:52 am, Daniel Vainsencher wrote:
> Hey Ned, Roel, I just started playing with the SB, it is
> wonderful!!!

Glad you like it!

> I love the integration, I love the SM view, I love having some way
> to view XML in Squeak (though that specifically makes everything
> very slow

I think that's due to not caching the items, as well as the way I did
AbstractClassification>>addDependent:. If you have a really deep or
large structure, it'll traverse the children for each item every
time. I need to look at that. I only did this for the import, really,
as it's already set right for everything else.

> and I'm not sure I understand what I'm seeing, might be
> better if it also showed the actual literal XML included in the
> right side pane).

I might add that. Or I'd accept patches <g>...

> I love the idea of putting application specific menu items in the
> SystemWindow menu, now I know where to put RB's undo redo
> options...

Yes, but I wonder how many people actually look there.

> Other issues -
> * Get a DNU when I try to add an expression, specifically when I
> try to name it, because String DNU #ifEmpty:. Let me guess, you're
> usually using the RB when you work on it ? ;-)

Oops... fixed.

> * Get a walkback when I bring up a menu on the items in the
> "configure services" window.

I can't duplicate that. Can you give me a stack trace?

> * Didn't understand what I'm supposed to do in configure services
> and in the edit expressions windows. Balloon help maybe, with a
> url?

It's a useful place to browse and change those classes while under
development.

The most useful part, though, is the "become default" choice in the
individual services context menu.

Try it on ItemExtendedChildren (under "children").

What this is: for services other than "button" and "menu" (which are
additive) we have a single default service that's used. So
ItemExtendedChildren is like ItemChildren, except that it answers
message categories as children of classes.

--
Ned Konz
http://bike-nomad.com