MP3 authoring in squeak?

Marcus Denker marcus at ira.uka.de
Sat Dec 7 17:22:08 UTC 2002

On Sat, Dec 07, 2002 at 05:11:39PM +0000, John Hinsley wrote:
> On Saturday 07 December 2002 9:25 am, Karl Ramberg wrote:
> > Derek Brans wrote:
> > > Has anyone seen any code for authoring mp3's?
> >
> > I think John M McIntosh <johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com>
> > did some work on this. But the lisencing issue
> > was a bit complicated.
>
> Ogg Vorbis would be in most respects a better way to attack the issue (the
> external libraries are available for just about every platform) -- I'm
> convinced that it's both technically and audibly superior -- but raises (as
> the "GPL is evil" lobby will point out) other potential licencing issues.

The Ogg-Libraries are under a BSD license:

 What licensing applies to the included Ogg Vorbis software?

 The bundled Ogg Vorbis utility software is released under the terms of the
 GNU GPL, or GNU General Public License. The details can be found at
 www.gnu.org.

 The libraries and SDKs are released under the more business-friendly BSD
 license. Please note that developers are still free to use the specification
 to independently write closed-source implementations of Ogg Vorbis which are
 not bound by these licenses.

see http://www.vorbis.com/faq.psp

   Marcus

--