[ANN] [UPDATES] Squeak 3.4 now in beta

Ned Konz ned at bike-nomad.com
Sat Dec 7 21:24:42 UTC 2002

On Saturday 07 December 2002 12:57 pm, David T. Lewis wrote:
> Maybe I'm missing something here, but why does this need to be done
> in the various VMs? It's just as easy to implement path name
> translation logic in Smalltalk, so why not just do it in the image
> and keep the VM support code as simple as possible.  If performance
> is an issue, drop some primitives in later on, but by and large
> it's easier to maintain and distribute the code if it's in the
> image.

I'd agree with this. And I don't think performance is an issue here
either (remember, we're dealing with file systems).

That said, though, there are enough differences between the various
file system models that it's hard to offer all the services you might
want without providing a few more primitives.

For instance, some file systems provide links of various kinds, but we
don't have any easy way to get to them in the image.

Plus, we need to get rid of the assumption that there is a single set
of file system naming rules for a given session (i.e. if this is
win32, then ...). Even under Windows there are different file systems
available with different rules about file name length, valid
characters, case sensitivity and preservation, etc.

One symptom of this problem is that the Mac VM is doing path
translations for the various kinds of file systems.

--
Ned Konz
http://bike-nomad.com