[WinCE] VM for Handheld PC 2000?

Aaron J Reichow reic0024 at d.umn.edu
Sun Dec 8 02:32:48 UTC 2002

Yoshiki and others,

I klnow there is a VM for the H/PC 2k devices like the Jornada 720 on the
Squeak VM for WinCE site.  However, it seems to be not getting the same
treament as the PocketPC/ARM VMs are now a days and are lagging.  Not much
of a surprise, I'm sure there are only a few of us using a Jornada 720 or
other H/PC device on the list.

Is there any chance that the H/PC 2000/ARM VM could get some of the
features that the PocketPC VM has?  Namely:

1. A memory mapped file for getting the ability of running a larger image;
especially if one could change the size of the file.  The latter would be
very handy on the iPAQ VM as well- the memory mapped file takes up the
entire free space on the Storage Card, making it impossible to write data
to the card, via magma for instance.

2. Full screen would be nice.  I imagine this may be tricier to do
without GAPI, which isn't available on the H/PC 2k devices (grr!) but if
it is possible, it would be nice to have.

Regards,
Aaron

  Aaron Reichow  ::  UMD ACM Pres  ::  http://www.d.umn.edu/~reic0024/
  "A weed is just a plant whose virtures have not
                     yet been discovered."            :: r. w. emerson