[ANN] StarBrowser v4 on SqueakMap

Ned Konz ned at bike-nomad.com
Mon Dec 9 20:16:08 UTC 2002

On Saturday 07 December 2002 10:32 am, Daniel Vainsencher wrote:
> Aha, I just started using it as workspace for a small tool I'm
> playing with. My tool turns a tree into a list in a specific way,
> and I put an expression running the tool on a global holding a
> specific interesting dataset, and as I change the code, I can
> update the results very easily. It's cool.
>
> Might want to make those things step, though it might be a bit
> dangerous for slow expressions.... worth thinking about.

What do you want to step?

I just added StarBrowser>>updateItemEditor, which might be useful in
some cases.

> A few other small things -
>  - yellow clicking on the icons in the hier view causes effects
> with surprising scope.

Yes. This is inherited from the Hierarchical list, and I still don't
like it. I just killed it off.

>  - Now that I think about it, why do the Add.. entries appear in
> the SysWin menu, and not in the context menu for the extensional
> classifications?

I don't know; I guess it'd make more sense. Of course, having them at
the window menu level means you can always add them (to the nearest
extentional classification, which is not necessarily the current
one). They were kind of global-feeling.

> Another thing I like about the SB is the prominent explore/inspect
> items, making it very easy to go into things and understanding what
> the representation is doing. Used this to understand what I was see
> in the XML view, for example.
>
> [accepting patches]
> Sorry Ned, I'll stay a user on this one, at least at the moment,
> but a happy user is something, right? ;-)

Yes, especially if he offers suggestions!

> BTW, I completely agree on the names, Stef's suggested names are
> simple and direct. In/Extensional is a good name for writing
> papers, bad for a tool for the people :-)

I'm waiting on Roel, who said that he was re-doing the classifications
stuff.

> Sorry, I was missing information. Open "configure services",
> without selecting any items, press yellow button. If you can't
> duplicate, I will send a stack.

Seems to be fixed in the current version.

> Aha... look at the pretty lights... it's beautiful.

I just added the children style choice to the Window menu (as it's
really the only useful service choice right now).

> Ok, so how about this?
>
> ItemLabel>>doXMLNode: aNodeWrapper
>
> 	| wholeName |
>
> 	wholeName _ aNodeWrapper node printString.
> 	^wholeName size > 100 ifTrue: [aNodeWrapper node name] ifFalse:
> [wholeName]

Thanks, that's in the next version.

--
Ned Konz