NetNameResolver timeout

David Farber dfarber at numenor.com
Mon Dec 9 21:56:33 UTC 2002

Markus - I'm not sure if this is related to your problem, but I posted a bug report to the squeak list back in January:

----

i found this bug over Christmas (on Windows2K, 3.1alpha 3880):

[Socket initializeNetwork] fork.
Socket initializeNetwork.

if you execute

NetNameResolver addressForName: 'www.yahoo.com' timeout: 45

after executing the first snippet, the NetNameResolver takes the full 45 seconds to (correctly) return the resolved address, instead of returning as soon as it is finished.

stoping and restarting Squeak (and doing Socket initializeNetwork without forking) eliminated the problem.

david

--
David Farber
dfarber at numenor.com