[Strongtalk] Can't add a method

Travis Griggs tgriggs at keyww.com
Tue Dec 10 18:17:55 UTC 2002

I'm sorry for the OT post--I posted this in cls a couple of days ago,
and didn't get a response--I'm hoping David Griswold is lurking here.

I want to do some micro benchmarking under Strongtalk (I know, this is
evil and all). But I can't even seem to get my one method added! The
following is what happens:

1) I start strongtalk, by double clicking on the strongtalk.exe. (I
think I have the latest version: "Version 1.1 (build Dec  4 2001
09:36:34)").
2) I right click the "Collection" glyph in the Strongtalk Start Page and
select "Spawn Heirarchy" from the menu, a "Collection Heirarchy" browser
opens.
3) I clice the SequenceableCollection text, a "Class
SequenceableCollection[E]" opens.
4) I select the "accessing" protocol.
5) I right click for the menu and select "new method", the text window
expands in place.
6) I paste my method pattern in (copied from a VW browser)
     replaceEvery: iTh elementFrom: start to: stop withEvery: nTh
startingAt: repStart in: aSource
     | n |
     n := repStart.
     start to: stop
         by: iTh
         do:
             [:i |
             self at: i put: (aSource at: n).
             n := n + nTh]
7) I right click the menu and accept <drumroll> and the thing blows up.
I get a map:toHeap: not understood. I'd copy the stack, but I can't
figure out how. Any idea?

--
Travis Griggs
Key Technology