Subjective Squeak

Stephen Pair spair at acm.org
Tue Dec 10 21:34:20 UTC 2002

Stephane Ducasse wrote:
> Hi anthony
>
> If you want by any chance that the blockclosure gets accepted in the
> Squeak kernel
> as I would like. PLEASE do not mix research ideas with that. Fix all
> the problems you know
> or others know (decompiler....) first

I kind of agree with Stephane here.  I *really* would like block
closures in Squeak.  But even the stack optimizations that are in VI4
concern me a bit.  It seems like that goes too far into the research
realm and jeopardizes the acceptance of the work done on block closures.
Everyone knows what block closures are and why they are needed; there is
a much greater chance of them getting into the base VM if they don't
come with extra stuff that's less well understood and proven.

- Stephen