[ENH][GOODIE][PLEA] A simple installer trick

Masashi Umezawa umejava at mars.dti.ne.jp
Wed Dec 11 13:23:52 UTC 2002

Hi,

Thank you for your kind instructions.

> This was triggered by the last message asking for how to install a bunch
> of .st files. Even though we have SAR files and they are far superior it
> is annoying to no end for newbies getting things all messed up because
> they don't put the files into the "right" location. Dandelion for
> example, comes in a zip-file which has a directory named
> "dandelion0.5beta20020413", but the install.st file looks for
> "dandelion0.5". That (in addition to using "FileDirectory default")
> makes it almost impossible for newbies to get anything going at all.
> E.g., even if you tell people to load the "install.st" file chances are
> really good that it won't work. So what's the solution?! A few lines of
> code:

I am now in the process of changing my old st-file distributions to SAR
based ones. Actually SIXX and SoapOpera have already been repackaged.
So they are easily installable by PackageLoader (really great!).

For Dandelion, I am planning to make SAR in the next week. Because
I'm now hooked up in other project. (NetMorph).

> | dir ctx |
> dir := FileDirectory default.
> ctx := thisContext.
> [ctx == nil or:[ctx receiver isKindOf: FileStream]]
> whileFalse:[ctx := ctx sender].
> ctx ifNotNil:[dir := ctx receiver directory].

Oh...This is also a classical code. I saw such kind of code in some VW
goodies. But I was too lazy to write such kind of cool things.

Thanks again,
---
[:masashi | ^umezawa]