Template mechanisms...

goran.hultgren at bluefish.se goran.hultgren at bluefish.se
Thu Dec 12 14:24:26 UTC 2002

"Stephen Pair" <spair at acm.org> wrote:
> Julian,
> > I am pretty
> > confident that
> > as we go forward and browsers begin to properly parse HTML (and soon,
> > hopefully, XHMTL) and properly interpret the full range of
> > CSS that such
> > hacks will be unnecessary and we will finally be able to consider CSS
> > sufficient.
>
> What?  Properly parse HTML?  Why would you want to do that?

:-)

> Anyway...I've occassionaly thought this about the designer problem:
> Just give them some fully rendered examples of the pages in your
> app...let them go nuts re-designing it, then have the developers fold
> the changes back into the system.  That way you can use whatever web
> application framework that makes sense and maintain control over how it
> all hangs together with the application.

In some ways I agree. But if we could come up with a simple enough
scheme that covers 80% then it could still be useful.

I like the idea of having a designer being able to edit the pages "in
place" somehow and just press reload to see how it looks. I also like
the idea for the developer to code the application logic once and then
not need to change that just because the pages need "fluff".

> - Stephen

regards, Göran