Template mechanisms...

Daniel Joyce daniel.a.joyce at worldnet.att.net
Fri Dec 13 05:48:51 UTC 2002

> I also like this approach - I really tried to learn and read up on
> CSS when I designed www.bluefish.se. One thing I learned is that CSS
> works very fine for some things and totally fails in other areas. The
> most important area where it seems to have utterly failed is
> positioning. I *really* tried to make the first page work properly
> using CSS positioning but I couldn't make heads or tails of it - I
> was really close but never managed to get it working the same in both
> IE and Mozilla. And if I can't even do that then forget about the
> rest of the browsers...
>
> I also read on www.evolt.org that they also had to fall back on
> tables for positioning. They apparently did a huge effort when
> redesigning their site and making it look good in a pletora of
> browsers using CSS. But they just caved in regarding positioning.

Plain and simple, IE is broke... It does NOT have a complete
implementation of CSS level 1 or 2. Konqueror, Galeon, and Mozilla are
much farther along in that regard.

CSS is a fine spec, and works fine on compliant webbrowsers. Cute
hover-over menus and directories can be made in it. But IE is just
plain broke as usual...

CSS positioning is simple, just realize that IE will not render it
properly

-Daniel