Which VM for vintage Macintosh?

Randy Bohn rsbohn at rocketmail.com
Fri Dec 13 17:02:12 UTC 2002

I currently have Squeak VM 1.2 on a PowerBook 170 (25 MHz 68030, 8MB
RAM). I am building a morse code trainer on it. I wonder if I should be
using a later VM. The sound output is acceptable as long as I padd it
with silence (can't make sound and update the screen at the same time).
I think I am using all of the 8MB RAM, need to spend some time
shrinking the image.
As this is a 'serious' retro-computing project I'm satisfied with the
MVC UI--support for Morphic is not necessary. I don't plan to use the
network either.

Would I get better performance from a 2.x VM?

Thanks,
RSBohn
(Using 20th century technology to learn 19th century technology)