Grassroots Smalltalk (was Re: Funding)

Aaron J Reichow reic0024 at d.umn.edu
Fri Dec 13 18:02:02 UTC 2002

On Fri, 13 Dec 2002, Gary Fisher wrote:

> If I might make a suggestion, it might be worthwhile to investigate whether
> your local school(s) would support a modest, introductory Smalltalk course.

Many have often pondered on this, definately a correlation between a
language being taught in the Universities and the language being used by
companies.

But it's a lot harder to get a college CS dept to add a Smalltalk class,
even where there are sypathizers.

For a couple years, I taught a bunch of middle schoolers (5-8th grade) how
to use computers.  They'd done a little with Logo, but I really wanted to
do some Squeak, but my plan was foiled by the very restrictive setup that
many school districts have for their computers.

(fantasy :mode 'deslusional "

Would it be great if we could get as many Squeakers as possible to go into
their community and do some grassroots, guerilla training of the
proletariat in Squeaking?  Perhaps we could storm the corperate and
adecemic worlds, mouse in hand to replace the pitchfork, and take over!

") ;; s-exps were always more efficient than XML/SGML. :P

Regards,
Aaron

  Aaron Reichow  ::  UMD ACM Pres  ::  http://www.d.umn.edu/~reic0024/
"the only difference it makes if some dust on the clay"  :: atmosphere