Squeak size history

Tim Rowledge tim at sumeru.stanford.edu
Sun Dec 15 07:16:41 UTC 2002

>     Based on SqueakScript species, to have a truly minimal image
>     with just ProtoObject and Metaclass, the followings are also
> needed:
.....snip
>          UndefinedObject,  UndefinedObject class
so far so good.

>          Bitmap,  Bitmap class
No need
>          FakeSmalltalk,  FakeSmalltalk class
Wha?
>          InstructionStream,  InstructionStream class
Huh?
>          PseudoContext,  PseudoContext class
don't think so

>          TranslatedMethod,  TranslatedMethod class
pretty sure not

To make a kernel we really need very little. You need stuff to _be_
methods, stuff to _hold_ methods and stuff to _run_ methods. Of course,
we need some way to add more stuff but that doesn't need to be much;  a
prim that can retrieve something suitable from somewhere (embedded in
the flash memory, in a file, off a net connection) or whatever. One
could load a bytearray that is used as an ImageSegment (in which case
some support code must be in the kernel) or a String to compile (in
which case the Compiler - or most of it - must be there). Once you have
that and VM plugins you can put together anything.

tim
tim at sumeru.stanford.edu