Tantalus Tests

Avi Bryant avi at beta4.com
Sun Dec 15 23:15:50 UTC 2002

On Sun, 15 Dec 2002 diegogomezdeck at consultar.com wrote:

> > There are so many possible points of
> > failure, and so little you can do about it when a failure does occur.
>
> Can you be more precise? Or you are talking with feelings?
>
> Several guys are using the ODBC support with success.

Diego,

I struggled with ODBC along with Colin, and I'm quite certain that he's
*not* suggesting that the problems were with your ODBC support for Squeak
- that's always worked great.  However, we've had a lot of problems with
buggy ODBC drivers, buggy ODBC driver managers, OS-X specific FFI issues,
and so on - these are the "many possible points of failure", and
unfortunately, they aren't failures that you can fix.  I imagine the ODBC
situation is a lot better on Windows, but on other platforms, if there's a
native Squeak driver, I agree with Colin that I'll always choose that over
the (non-Squeak-related) hassles of ODBC.

Avi