crash in 3.4.0b2 with croquet (help needed)

John M McIntosh johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com
Mon Dec 16 08:13:17 UTC 2002

On Sunday, December 15, 2002, at 02:53  PM, Robert Withers wrote:

>> Also if someone knows how to turn core dump on (ie creating core
>> files) on os-x 10.2.2 then please let me know.
>>
>> [localhost:~/Documents/SqueakCroquet/build] johnmci% limit
>> coredumpsize 999999

Ok, how to do this is like so (in 10.2.2)

Ensure the crash log reporter is turned OFF. That is done in the
console application preference pane.
If you don't turn it OFF, then you won't get your dumps. Then you need
to tell the shell that you want to create dumps.

So set either in your .tcshrc  "If you  need to ask: you need to know
more about unix"

limit coredumpsize unlimited

or invoke that from a terminal session before starting Squeak.
(For 10.1.x it might be the ulimit command)

Then in the same terminal session invoke
Squeak\ 3.4.0Beta2.app/Contents/MacOS/Squeak\ VM\ Opt  "This invokes
the binary executable the hard way"

That runs the Squeak 3.4.0Beta2.app (the 3.4.0b2 Squeak VM) and it
should stick the dialog selection window
up in the background, click and bring to the foreground pick your image
and  run til the crash occurs, then we'll get a core dump
be patient dumping 500MB to disk 4K at a time takes a long time, it's
unix the machine has not crashed.

The core dump will be written to /cores   say for example
/cores/core.4453  This is not visible in the Finder you need to look
for it in a terminal session.

Now if you create one!!!
Then contact me to arrange delivery (usually it's a 30-600MB file) and
most mail systems will choke on it, but I'll
arrange somewhere for people to scp "If you  need to ask: you need to
know more about unix" the file to.

===