[ANN] VNC 0.1a on SqueakMap

Aaron J Reichow reic0024 at d.umn.edu
Tue Dec 17 01:04:29 UTC 2002

On Mon, 16 Dec 2002, Andreas Raab wrote:

> Yes and yes. It takes some bandwidth but if you're on a local network it
> doesn't matter (10MBps are quite enough; it works well even on a
> wireless). The biggest pain is the setup - you have to get a badge and
> type the IP adresses of the participants (so don't try this through a
> NAT or any other firewall) but it could be changed to use a similar
> rendevous mechanism that Croquet uses.

How much CPU does Nebraska take on the client end?  That is, VNC is pretty
good for making the higher resources of one machine available to another
with lesser processing speed.  While programming in MVC or limited Morphic
interaction is OK on my 206 MHz StrongARM, when at home, I'd love to be
able to use the speed of my iBook without having to leave the comfort of
my living room (I have an AirPort card for my Jorada 720, iBook is on
ethernet).  Would this setup be advantageous, or would it stil lbe slow?

Regards,
Aaron

  Aaron Reichow  ::  UMD ACM Pres  ::  http://www.d.umn.edu/~reic0024/
  "civilization is a limitless multiplication of
                unnecessary necessities."                :: mark twain