Automatic selection of '--all--'

Doug Way dway at riskmetrics.com
Wed Dec 18 19:49:35 UTC 2002

(forwarded from the Squeakfoundation list... this discussion is probably more appropriate for squeak-dev)

Andreas Raab wrote:

> Methinks that perhaps the real problem is the automatic selection of
> '--all--' in the browser. If this weren't there, the mechanism would be
> rather obvious - you select the class you edit the class. You select a
> method category you edit a method. This is already true *except* for the
> '--all--' category which attempts to edit the class definition when it
> is selected.

I guess I would be somewhat opposed to removing the automatic selection of '--all--' in the browser, since I feel that the convenience of always seeing the methods (when selecting classes) greatly outweighs the mild inconsistency of not being able to enter new methods while '--all--' is selected.  But reasonable people may disagree. :-)  Any opinions on this?  Perhaps there is a solution which would address both problems.

- Doug Way